Skip to main content

Tracking Those Pesky NPCs

Tracking NPCs in an adventure can be painful, especially if there are long periods of time between their appearances.  Reality Refracted has a good write-up on some methods for NPC tracking.In my opinion, there is just no module that has a bigger problem of this than The Wormwood Mutiny, the first book in the Skull and Shackles adventure path. (SPOILER ALERT)  In the Wormwood Mutiny, the PCs are shanghaied and put aboard a ship with no less than 23 NPCs.  As the title suggests, the story leads to a mutiny.  NPCs have to decide whether to support or fight against the PCs at the time of the mutiny.  This is determined through the history of the PC's interactions with the crew.

Having a large number of NPCs in a scenario like this has a lot of challenges:

  • Each NPC has a specific relationship to be tracked against each NPC.  With 23 NPCs and a party of 4, that is 92 relationships.
  • Each NPC has different duties giving them different places to be on this ship.
  • Each NPC needs to be memorable that the PCs can remember them.  If they can't remember them, they can't try to interact with them.
  • Eventually all of these NPCs end up in battles, so the GM or player that ends up playing them needs a quick and easy to understand stat block.
In this case, I made NPC cards.  I print NPC cards out on card stock and fold them in half.  The front is a picture of them with their name.  The back is a full stat block.  During interactions, I hang the NPC's card on my monitor, laptop screen, or GM screen.  The players get a memorable picture.  I can take notes on the back.  To "go through" the NPCs to figure out who is doing what, I literally just have to go through a deck of NPCs.  Need a random NPC?  Have a player draw one from the deck.

To track relationships, I put a letter or two as initials for each PC on the card as they interact with them.  Then to record how the interaction went, I do a range from ++ to 0 to --.  I total these up over time, so they may become numbers +5 or -12.  In the next interaction, that gives me a feeling for how they are going to react to the PC.  And when the mutiny comes around, all I have to do is look at the attitude numbers versus each PC.  If they have positive connections to the PCs, they side with them.  If they have negative connections, then they don't.  It can get complicated, of course, if they react negatively to one and positively to another, but in these cases, the GM gets to make the call for the NPC.  As a GM, you do that a lot -- get in the NPC's head and figure out what they would do.

Now, during normal intervals in the game where only an NPC or two is interacting with the NPCs, I keep a full character sheet for them.  I can take notes and essentially play them like a PC.  This is good, if the NPC is going to be in regular fights with the PCs.  It also satisfies that urge the GM gets sometimes to play a character.

For lightly interacting NPCs, I use a different approach.  For example, Corrail has a cousin that pops in now and then with information.  For her, I have one image in my mind that defines her.  When I see Ahkra, I see a dark haired woman dressed in dark leather pants, a white poofy dress shirt, and high black boots propped up on a table, drinking an ale.  That one image defines her.  She is social, relaxed, but protected, and slightly dark.  From there, the rest of character follows.  I know how she will interact.  She just seems like a rogue in that picture and that is enough to remind me how to play her.

For armies, I summarize the troops into groups that all have the same stat block (which I usually pull from standard NPCs tables or NPC codex).  For tracking, I have a page with a stat block for each group type and I record notes directly onto the sheet.  I use group damage, which means I use a dice to keep track the number of them left.  Damage is done against one at a time, with the extra flowing to the next one.  So let's say 120 damage is done against a group that has 50 hp each.  I decrement the dice counter by two, since two are killed and I right down 30hp on the character sheet, which is the HP of the one injured member of the group.  Now if another attack does 40 hp, I decrement the dice counter by 1 and right down 40hp.  The damage killed the injured NPC and overflowed into the next one.  To separate groups of the same stat block type, I use different colors of dice for counter so each group has a color.  If the battle has to carry over to the next session, a quick picture with my cell phone records the dice counters and the sheets have the HP states.

All of the methods I mention here are tried and true.  I've been using them for a long time, and though they don't reflect what I started with, they represent the ultimately lazy methods I settled on.  I figure if you can follow the methods even on your most tired burnt-out week, you've got a methods that you can always follow.  And that's not bad.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5E Starting Gold and Equipment for Higher Levels

The DMG has a rough recommendation for starting gold and equipment for higher levels, but with my groups running one-shots, we wanted to nail it down to level by level. Here's my DMG-inspired table. Generally I allow equipment to be traded in during character creation for half book value, where applicable. I also, as a GM, offer to make custom magic items for players who can't choose. A list of magical items by rarity can be found here  with stats available in the DMG. I also generally allow players to buy healing potions (2d4+2) for 50gp and greater healing potions for 250gp (4d4+4). PHB items are available at book cost at creation. I do not allow other equipment to be purchased except in game. This is generally based off the "high magic" campaign. Level Starting Gold Starting Equipment / Magic Items 1 - 160gp  OR Standard starting equipment 2 210gp Standard starting equipment 3 285gp Standard starting equipment 4 365gp Standard sta

An Analysis of Tasha's Caldron of Everything: Spells

 I am going to be evaluating "Tasha's Cauldron of Everything" for incorporation into my own games. I figured I would go ahead and record this analysis on my blog here so other folks can follow along and glean some useful information from the time I spent. I tried to find an in-depth analysis elsewhere, but at this time none so detailed as this seems to be available. You will not find any of the text in its entirety in this blog. I will be referencing the first printing of the book, so please refer to that as you read along. There are no released errata for the book at the time of writing, although there are errata from other books that affect some of this content. There are 21 spells in Tasha's Cauldron of Everything. This includes Booming Blade, Green-Flame Blade, Lightning Lure, and Sword Burst cantrips that were originally published in Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide. There are 9 spells that allow you to summon creatures of various types. Three spells are notabl

GM Tip: Changing the Effective Font Size in Roll20

I've seen this complaint a few times in roll 20:  can't adjust the font in the chat window.  Unfortunately, they haven't added controls for this yet, at least not at the level of account I have.  For me the font is just too big, but I know for a lot of people it is too small. I am using chrome to do this, but I am sure it will work in other browsers. The method basically allows to increase/decrease the size of the font/controls by about a factor of 2 easily. To increase the effective font size, zoom in with the browser (ctrl-plus), and reduce the zoom on the map, until it is back to the size you want. To decrease the effective font size, zoom out with the browser (ctrl-minus), and increase the zoom on the map until its back to the size you want. The main limit of this is the limited range of the map zoom, which really limited me to fonts doubling to halving in size. Default size with chat font Decrease browser zoom and increase map zoom to reduce font e