Skip to main content

Tuesday Rise of the Runelords: Farther into the Thicket

Here's the latest update from Ranier:

After last week's massacre of goblins, it was time to take a look around.  It turned out the goblins weren't heavily armed -- they had just camping gear.  The paladin was torn up a bit about it, but Jericho reminded him that these were goblins.  I wish I could feel bad about it -- it just doesn't bother me anymore.  Goblin aren't innocent.  Nobody over the age of 10 is innocent anymore.  We pretty much all deserve to bite the dust.  The cruel joke is that once you get to that age, you're probably going to live long enough to regret it.

We continued on through the thicket, this time losing Pajar to the old Thassilonian hummingbird (his player was out).  We found a deep hole that reached down to the ocean level with some terrible roaring creature in it.  We went around it.  Maybe we'll check it out on the way back.

Axle and I were working together nicely this week, backing each other up on looking for traps and keeping mostly to the shadows.  There were skeletons around -- humanoid.  Good thing we killed all the goblins -- eating people just isn't right.  We found some potions, a nice scroll that seems to generate a great explosion of fire, and a small magical pearl.  The pearl seems to help restore my memory after casting a spell so I can still remember it.  That will be handy.  I'n hanging on to that scroll so I can copy it.  I'm not sure how much longer I'm going to be able to keep up this charade -- though some days I think I really am a ranger.

Farther into the thicket we found a small room with goblin dogs.  Sol, my dog, joined Dante in charging the goblin dogs.  We all fought hard and they fell quick.

We got attacked by a goblin and some sort of feline creature that attacked and then would disappear back into the thorns.  We fought hard against them, but took a lot of bad hits.  Some sort of insect appeared and it got blown away by Jericho.

We started to get back moving again, but Jericho jumped the gun and shot Axle.  I warned him that it better not happen again.  Gun, blade, club or spear -- a person's weapon needs to be only brought to bear on enemies.  I don't trust Jericho now.

We kept moving and the paladin followed his "aura" back down a path into a lair of some sort -- probably of that cat-like thing.  The goblin that was attacking seemed to take off.  I don't see how that Paladin can see anything through the shine of his armor.

We followed the path until we came to a bridge to the island.  Pajar had mentioned Thistletop was an island.  The bridge was rickety and we were going to have to go one at a time.  On the other side of the 60 foot bridge was a large wooden structure and it, with the island, looked like a skull staring out.

Axle went first, running across.  The doors to the structure were barred, so he climbed over the wall and unbarred them.  Once doors were open, Sol, the gunslinger, and I went across.  Dante got hung up with the goblin reappearing and attacking, but finally made a run for it.  Bad for us, the goblin cut the bridge behind us.  We need to track him down when we get done on this island.

Everyone was heading to get in the room and bar the door when goblin dog riders starting appearing.  Sol charged one and sent it flying, but not enough to send it over the cliff into the ocean.  The others fought them off, avoiding arrows from the towers until Axle went down.  I manned the gate while the paladin and Sol engaged the attackers in melee.  Jericho backed them up by firing off shots.  Finally we finished them off and got the door closed and barred.

The room was gruesome -- horse heads, dog heads, and, pinned to the wall, a set of harpy wings.  Odd.  Harpy wings?  Axle found a nice dagger stabbed into the wall.

Where to go next -- between this room and the attached corridor, we have 6 other doors that we could try?

I am a bit worried as we venture further into the structure.  The paladin has healed about as much as he can for the day.  My spells are half depleted.  I am hurt pretty badly.  Axle nearly bit the dust in that last battle.  I guess luck of the gods is with us, even Sol.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5E Starting Gold and Equipment for Higher Levels

The DMG has a rough recommendation for starting gold and equipment for higher levels, but with my groups running one-shots, we wanted to nail it down to level by level. Here's my DMG-inspired table. Generally I allow equipment to be traded in during character creation for half book value, where applicable. I also, as a GM, offer to make custom magic items for players who can't choose. A list of magical items by rarity can be found here  with stats available in the DMG. I also generally allow players to buy healing potions (2d4+2) for 50gp and greater healing potions for 250gp (4d4+4). PHB items are available at book cost at creation. I do not allow other equipment to be purchased except in game. This is generally based off the "high magic" campaign. Level Starting Gold Starting Equipment / Magic Items 1 - 160gp  OR Standard starting equipment 2 210gp Standard starting equipment 3 285gp Standard starting equipment 4 365gp Standard sta

An Analysis of Tasha's Caldron of Everything: Spells

 I am going to be evaluating "Tasha's Cauldron of Everything" for incorporation into my own games. I figured I would go ahead and record this analysis on my blog here so other folks can follow along and glean some useful information from the time I spent. I tried to find an in-depth analysis elsewhere, but at this time none so detailed as this seems to be available. You will not find any of the text in its entirety in this blog. I will be referencing the first printing of the book, so please refer to that as you read along. There are no released errata for the book at the time of writing, although there are errata from other books that affect some of this content. There are 21 spells in Tasha's Cauldron of Everything. This includes Booming Blade, Green-Flame Blade, Lightning Lure, and Sword Burst cantrips that were originally published in Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide. There are 9 spells that allow you to summon creatures of various types. Three spells are notabl

GM Tip: Changing the Effective Font Size in Roll20

I've seen this complaint a few times in roll 20:  can't adjust the font in the chat window.  Unfortunately, they haven't added controls for this yet, at least not at the level of account I have.  For me the font is just too big, but I know for a lot of people it is too small. I am using chrome to do this, but I am sure it will work in other browsers. The method basically allows to increase/decrease the size of the font/controls by about a factor of 2 easily. To increase the effective font size, zoom in with the browser (ctrl-plus), and reduce the zoom on the map, until it is back to the size you want. To decrease the effective font size, zoom out with the browser (ctrl-minus), and increase the zoom on the map until its back to the size you want. The main limit of this is the limited range of the map zoom, which really limited me to fonts doubling to halving in size. Default size with chat font Decrease browser zoom and increase map zoom to reduce font e