Skip to main content

Custom Mini for Pajar

At my Tuesday game, I really liked the character concept Scott came up with.  Pajar is an oracle with the oracle's curse of lameness.  Instead of having a bad leg, however, he is just very overweight, which affects his ability to walk.  When I found the balloon boy mini in the dollar bin this weekend, I just knew I had to try to make a mini for Pajar.  I emailed Scott for a description, and he let me know he wore mostly gold with magenta and blue accents.  In play, I had already learned of the turban he wore and the mace he used.

(Click to embiggen pictures)

Top Left is Balloon Boy

So balloon boy got disassembled, glued to a 1 inch washer, and I added a mace.  The mace started out as a large warhammer, but I cut the two hammer heads off, and it looks very mace-like now.

Mounted, with a mace, and some paint starting to layer.

Now balloon boy was plastic and molded with color which made getting paint to stick a challenge.  I would have primed him completely, but I was hoping to salvage the colors of his face, hands, and perhaps, shoes.  I just did several layers of paint until it started to adhere.  I used 1000 grit sandpaper to even out the layers to avoid bubbles, runs, and other problems.

Front view with a few layers of paint and his mace.

My wonderful wife was so kind as to make a clay turban for him.  With a few more layers of gold, he was starting to get a lot closer.

Now with his clay turban.

The jewel she added to the turban was a nice touch.  I started slowly working in the other colors.  A nice black base always helps accentuate the mini.

Starting to get paint onto the turban and arms.

I added more blue and magenta and painted his mace appropriate colors.  The beard was a huge challenge.  I ended having to paint and then touch up his face a couple of times.

Final Paint

The final stage was dipping him in cherry stain.  Tomorrow he'll get a coat of polyurethane to make him more durable.

Pajar after his dip (Front)

Pajar after his dip (Side)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5E Starting Gold and Equipment for Higher Levels

The DMG has a rough recommendation for starting gold and equipment for higher levels, but with my groups running one-shots, we wanted to nail it down to level by level. Here's my DMG-inspired table. Generally I allow equipment to be traded in during character creation for half book value, where applicable. I also, as a GM, offer to make custom magic items for players who can't choose. A list of magical items by rarity can be found here  with stats available in the DMG. I also generally allow players to buy healing potions (2d4+2) for 50gp and greater healing potions for 250gp (4d4+4). PHB items are available at book cost at creation. I do not allow other equipment to be purchased except in game. This is generally based off the "high magic" campaign. Level Starting Gold Starting Equipment / Magic Items 1 - 160gp  OR Standard starting equipment 2 210gp Standard starting equipment 3 285gp Standard starting equipment 4 365gp Standard sta

An Analysis of Tasha's Caldron of Everything: Spells

 I am going to be evaluating "Tasha's Cauldron of Everything" for incorporation into my own games. I figured I would go ahead and record this analysis on my blog here so other folks can follow along and glean some useful information from the time I spent. I tried to find an in-depth analysis elsewhere, but at this time none so detailed as this seems to be available. You will not find any of the text in its entirety in this blog. I will be referencing the first printing of the book, so please refer to that as you read along. There are no released errata for the book at the time of writing, although there are errata from other books that affect some of this content. There are 21 spells in Tasha's Cauldron of Everything. This includes Booming Blade, Green-Flame Blade, Lightning Lure, and Sword Burst cantrips that were originally published in Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide. There are 9 spells that allow you to summon creatures of various types. Three spells are notabl

GM Tip: Changing the Effective Font Size in Roll20

I've seen this complaint a few times in roll 20:  can't adjust the font in the chat window.  Unfortunately, they haven't added controls for this yet, at least not at the level of account I have.  For me the font is just too big, but I know for a lot of people it is too small. I am using chrome to do this, but I am sure it will work in other browsers. The method basically allows to increase/decrease the size of the font/controls by about a factor of 2 easily. To increase the effective font size, zoom in with the browser (ctrl-plus), and reduce the zoom on the map, until it is back to the size you want. To decrease the effective font size, zoom out with the browser (ctrl-minus), and increase the zoom on the map until its back to the size you want. The main limit of this is the limited range of the map zoom, which really limited me to fonts doubling to halving in size. Default size with chat font Decrease browser zoom and increase map zoom to reduce font e