Skip to main content

Tuesday Night Runelords

So the rogue (Axle) and I (Ranier) has somehow lost the shiny armor (Dante whose player was absent).  There was a note that indicated that Amico was supposed to meet her brother, presumably at the glassworks the night before, but she had not returned.  We were going to check it out, but I wanted backup.  No way did I want to walk into another goblin ambush with just two of us.  The note indicated Amico's father, who owned the glass works, had something to do with what was going on, and that meant goblins.

We went to the guard house / jail.  One lonely guard was left at the desk, keeping an eye on things.  There were no guards to be spared with the sheriff gone.  We headed on to the Hagfish where he indicated there might be a merc looking for some work.

I'm not a big fan of mercs.  People that are paid just don't have the loyalty to the cause to keep the rest of us alive.  We walked in and approached the bartended and asked about the merc, who was sitting nearby at the table.  Turns out he has some debts.  I asked the keeper to let the debts slide for a bit and he agreed.

The man was as ugly as the day is long, scarred, odd-looking long coat, crumpled hat, and some big metal pipe and a rapier at his side.  He was interested in joining us for the money.  I expected as much.  He went about his magic pipe.  I'm not sure what kind of odd magical contraption it is, but he seemed confident it would be handy.

As I was negotiating with Jericho, a rather rotund gentlemen in foreign clothing and with a heavy accent came in.  He immediately jumped in the conversation in hearing of the possibility of free room and board.  I told them I though I could get them free room and board and possibly wages from the sheriff for assisting.  Pajar, the very large fellow, seemed able enough with a staff and mace.

So we got underway and headed to the glassworks.  The store entrance was closed, the side entrance was closed.  Axle climbed on the roof to take a look in through the skylights.  There was someone inside in a glass box and other movement around.

The rest of the group was already bursting in; I tried to slow them down.  We got in an order and started going in.  Room after room, corridors, and finally a room with a huge pile of sand and an exterior door.  Under the guise of prayer, I summoned an unseen servant.  He might be handy.  Axle indicated the sand was the raw material for glass.  At the next door we heard goblin laughter.  We went in slowly.  Several goblins stood around a furnace room.  More emerged as the battle broke out.

Pajar was chastising the goblins as he battled, leaving them unsure and easy targets for the rest of us.  I cast grease on the fiery tongs one goblin held and he dropped them and the unseen servant kicked them away.  Jericho fire off loudy rounds from his so-called musket, nearly deafening me, but killing goblins each time.  Axle moved into position to stab the goblins from behind.

My scimitar and magic flowed and hacked away at the goblins.  Pajar, Axle, and Jericho all battled away.  It didn't take long to take care of all of the goblins.  In the center of the nearby alcove we found Amico's father, encased in glass and obviously dead.

Further search found a set of stairs downward.  A series of halls and rooms lead us eventually to a room with an unhappy half-elf in it, presumably Amico's brother.  We fought fiercely, but he made a run for it and got away.  Jericho nearly destroyed his gun in the fight. Searching the corridors we found a room with Amico locked in it.  She was badly hurt.  Pajar and Jericho left to take her to a nearby healer's place.

There were some very interesting papers.  They seemed to indicated that the brother was in league with a daughter of Tobyn.  Presumably she had died in the fire that killed Tobyn.  The letter spoke of raising and controlling something.  It all sounded pretty bad, like demon's blood flowed in the daughter, or was going to. Drawings of succubi seemed to indicate what she would become.  Tobyn's bones were taken for a ritual.

Axle and I searched on more passage and found it lead to the beach where an empty goblin camp remained. We ignored another rather large passage for the time being.  It was recently unsealed, so it was a different thing altogether.

The party gathered and we went on to inform the guard of what we had found.  They could take care of cleaning things up.  We agreed to rest before going back to explore.  I stopped in the local weapons shop and picked up a newer, heavier bow, and some more arrows.  Axle got some sort of pry bar.  We got rid of some of the loot we had found and I also got a bit better mithril shirt to go under my attire.  Its a lot tougher than leather and yet still lets me move freely.

I stopped again at the temple to find out who presided over the burial of tobyn and his daughter.  Either she alive or dead or something else entirely was going on.  They directed us to an old time in the graveyard.  Two bodies were buried, and one was a young girls found with Tobyn.  There was no identification, but it was a chaotic time, so perhaps it wasn't Tobyn's daughter.  (Hmmm... I should have asked where she was buried.)

We went back to the Rusty Dragon -- or it is the Red Dragon -- I don't recall.  Anyway we went back to rest.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5E Starting Gold and Equipment for Higher Levels

The DMG has a rough recommendation for starting gold and equipment for higher levels, but with my groups running one-shots, we wanted to nail it down to level by level. Here's my DMG-inspired table. Generally I allow equipment to be traded in during character creation for half book value, where applicable. I also, as a GM, offer to make custom magic items for players who can't choose. A list of magical items by rarity can be found here  with stats available in the DMG. I also generally allow players to buy healing potions (2d4+2) for 50gp and greater healing potions for 250gp (4d4+4). PHB items are available at book cost at creation. I do not allow other equipment to be purchased except in game. This is generally based off the "high magic" campaign. Level Starting Gold Starting Equipment / Magic Items 1 - 160gp  OR Standard starting equipment 2 210gp Standard starting equipment 3 285gp Standard starting equipment 4 365gp Standard sta

An Analysis of Tasha's Caldron of Everything: Spells

 I am going to be evaluating "Tasha's Cauldron of Everything" for incorporation into my own games. I figured I would go ahead and record this analysis on my blog here so other folks can follow along and glean some useful information from the time I spent. I tried to find an in-depth analysis elsewhere, but at this time none so detailed as this seems to be available. You will not find any of the text in its entirety in this blog. I will be referencing the first printing of the book, so please refer to that as you read along. There are no released errata for the book at the time of writing, although there are errata from other books that affect some of this content. There are 21 spells in Tasha's Cauldron of Everything. This includes Booming Blade, Green-Flame Blade, Lightning Lure, and Sword Burst cantrips that were originally published in Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide. There are 9 spells that allow you to summon creatures of various types. Three spells are notabl

GM Tip: Changing the Effective Font Size in Roll20

I've seen this complaint a few times in roll 20:  can't adjust the font in the chat window.  Unfortunately, they haven't added controls for this yet, at least not at the level of account I have.  For me the font is just too big, but I know for a lot of people it is too small. I am using chrome to do this, but I am sure it will work in other browsers. The method basically allows to increase/decrease the size of the font/controls by about a factor of 2 easily. To increase the effective font size, zoom in with the browser (ctrl-plus), and reduce the zoom on the map, until it is back to the size you want. To decrease the effective font size, zoom out with the browser (ctrl-minus), and increase the zoom on the map until its back to the size you want. The main limit of this is the limited range of the map zoom, which really limited me to fonts doubling to halving in size. Default size with chat font Decrease browser zoom and increase map zoom to reduce font e