Skip to main content

Pathfinder with the Lappity-Toppity Box

When I started with Pathfinder, it was me, my core rulebook, a bestiary, a notebook, and a set of dice.  Times have changed with 9 full hardback books released by paizo in addition to player's guides, modules, and those awesome 3rd party products (Tome of Horrors, Psionics Unleashed, etc).  Today I am using a laptop and a USB monitor and things aren't bad.

My first laptop GMing investment was Herolab.  As a player it gave me the option to quickly and easily build a character over multiple levels and explore the options.  As a GM, I can use it to quickly build NPCs, verify PC builds and calculate item costs.  It even does a reasonable job of letting me skip the character sheet for NPCs by acting as a during-game character sheet.  Unfortunately, for most people, the price tag for the core version is not cheap, and adding on all the additional books isn't cheap.  It also doesn't fulfill any role in checking rules during the game.  It also isn't very useful for large groups of characters.

With the additional of all of the books to the online PRD, however, one can get access to all the rules, all the bestiary monsters, and all of the prebuilt NPCs for free.  Having this open during the game is a must for me anymore -- not even my smart phone app works as well.

Displaying maps, especially non-battle maps, can be a big problem, especially during my pirate game where detailed maps are important for navigation.  I added ScreenMonkey and a USB monitor and now I can display not only maps, but also the second screen of my home-built java initiative tracker.

You can't hardly game anymore without running into PDFs.  I buy them at RPG DriveThru, I generate them as custom content use GoogleDocs, and I even scan them from character sheets.  Where to keep them?  Both GoogleDrive and DropBox are great for storing large volumes of PDFs for quick access.  I keep a portable wand scanner with me just so I can scan character sheets.

GoogleDocs is good for other things.  I need to be able to quickly build encounters.  NPCs I can grab from the NPC Codex online, but ship stats with weapons are another story.  I made a ship stat spreadsheet with all the standard ships on one page and the siege weapon stats on another.  Now I can build a ship in a few seconds, add a couple of NPC Codexers as officers, add a CoreRulebook NPC as my exemplar sailor aboard and off we go .

I can't imagine gaming in Pathfinder without a laptop anymore.  My digital content is so deep anymore that I even require my players to have email so I cen send them stuff.  If you GM, I would strongly encourage you for flexibility's sake, as well as for sanity's sake with all the Pathfinder rules, to get a laptop and use it at your gaming table.

Comments

  1. I find computers in general to be an excellent resource for gaming. We handle all of our "town time" via email and I write pretty much everything (adventures, NPC's, etc) at a monitor of some kind. I keep a tablet at the table for critical hit and fumble apps / spellbooks but I print everything else out on paper.

    That's more of a personal choice than a logical one. I just prefer to have it all in paper format.

    My favorite computer resource by far is dinglesgames.com. He has an excellent NPC/monster generator there if you ever get tired of the codex or need something a little more specific. (although NPC generation is limited to level 5 and below unless you pay for a membership)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

5E Starting Gold and Equipment for Higher Levels

The DMG has a rough recommendation for starting gold and equipment for higher levels, but with my groups running one-shots, we wanted to nail it down to level by level. Here's my DMG-inspired table. Generally I allow equipment to be traded in during character creation for half book value, where applicable. I also, as a GM, offer to make custom magic items for players who can't choose. A list of magical items by rarity can be found here  with stats available in the DMG. I also generally allow players to buy healing potions (2d4+2) for 50gp and greater healing potions for 250gp (4d4+4). PHB items are available at book cost at creation. I do not allow other equipment to be purchased except in game. This is generally based off the "high magic" campaign. Level Starting Gold Starting Equipment / Magic Items 1 - 160gp  OR Standard starting equipment 2 210gp Standard starting equipment 3 285gp Standard starting equipment 4 365gp Standard sta

An Analysis of Tasha's Caldron of Everything: Spells

 I am going to be evaluating "Tasha's Cauldron of Everything" for incorporation into my own games. I figured I would go ahead and record this analysis on my blog here so other folks can follow along and glean some useful information from the time I spent. I tried to find an in-depth analysis elsewhere, but at this time none so detailed as this seems to be available. You will not find any of the text in its entirety in this blog. I will be referencing the first printing of the book, so please refer to that as you read along. There are no released errata for the book at the time of writing, although there are errata from other books that affect some of this content. There are 21 spells in Tasha's Cauldron of Everything. This includes Booming Blade, Green-Flame Blade, Lightning Lure, and Sword Burst cantrips that were originally published in Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide. There are 9 spells that allow you to summon creatures of various types. Three spells are notabl

GM Tip: Changing the Effective Font Size in Roll20

I've seen this complaint a few times in roll 20:  can't adjust the font in the chat window.  Unfortunately, they haven't added controls for this yet, at least not at the level of account I have.  For me the font is just too big, but I know for a lot of people it is too small. I am using chrome to do this, but I am sure it will work in other browsers. The method basically allows to increase/decrease the size of the font/controls by about a factor of 2 easily. To increase the effective font size, zoom in with the browser (ctrl-plus), and reduce the zoom on the map, until it is back to the size you want. To decrease the effective font size, zoom out with the browser (ctrl-minus), and increase the zoom on the map until its back to the size you want. The main limit of this is the limited range of the map zoom, which really limited me to fonts doubling to halving in size. Default size with chat font Decrease browser zoom and increase map zoom to reduce font e