Skip to main content

The State of Games: August 2015

Things always change, and occasionally I like to share how things are going, what things are going, and what things just aren't going.  Welcome to the state of games.

As a player, I am looking for a game now.  I quit my Sunday game.  The GM moved the game back because players were always late, so they all started showing up even later.  The GM let it slide.  I got fed up, after the last game was starting 45 minutes late, and quit.  Sunday night games are bad for my sleep for work anyway.  The lesson I learned is that pushover GMs are pushovers.

As an online GM, my Wednesday game is going strong, albeit with continuous changes in cast.  Real life pulls a lot of players away.  I am starting a 5E Horror game on Saturdays, which should have its first session this week.  I think it is going to be a lot of fun.

As a live GM, I tried to get a Tuesday game going at the local game store, but it crashed and burned.  The two players, besides my daughters, that showed up seemed to think they knew how to play and even GM, but didn't seem to have any clue on game rules.  They ignored my character creation rules, so I just stopped it.  I left an open invitation for my daughters to start a weekend game with their friends, and I will leave it at that for now.  Once I start commuting to the "big city" again, I may try to start a game there.

As a creator and hopeful publisher, I am procrastinating on pulling together the 2.0 version of my Cyber Path rules.  The new version is going to be a lot simpler and prettier.  I am seeing at least the Core and 2 to 3 other books coming out of the material.  I am just waiting for motivation and inspiration to catch up to my to do list right now.  I have no idea how to release them, and they are in desperate need of artwork.  Currently I am using properly licensed clipart.  It is sad.  Maybe when I get them finished they might be worthy of a Kickstarter.  Maybe I should do a 5E version first.

As a miniature painter, I am making good progress.  I am completing a couple of miniatures a week on average.  That means I should have all my miniatures painted in only 4 years!  Yeah, I have a huge kickstarter backlog of minis.  The good news is that my skills are improving, and I getting happier and happier with the outcome.  The bad news is that I need to see an eye doctor soon.  Near vision is becoming more challenging -- typical for my age, I am told.

As a collector, I am waiting to get back to work to have extra money for collecting.  Too bad too, since I found a copy of Rappan Athuk the other day for half off.  My biggest project when things settle again will be building a set of rustic bookshelves for the collection.  I think I might put wooden shingles over them as a rustic roof.  If will both improve my game room feel and protect the volumes in the case that a leaky pipe or some other disaster sends moisture into my gaming dungeon below.

So overall, things are good.  My gaming hobby is getting reshaped for me to go back to work at some point.  I am having a lot of fun.  I am spending time what I enjoy.  What more can a person ask for, from a hobby.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5E Starting Gold and Equipment for Higher Levels

The DMG has a rough recommendation for starting gold and equipment for higher levels, but with my groups running one-shots, we wanted to nail it down to level by level. Here's my DMG-inspired table. Generally I allow equipment to be traded in during character creation for half book value, where applicable. I also, as a GM, offer to make custom magic items for players who can't choose. A list of magical items by rarity can be found here  with stats available in the DMG. I also generally allow players to buy healing potions (2d4+2) for 50gp and greater healing potions for 250gp (4d4+4). PHB items are available at book cost at creation. I do not allow other equipment to be purchased except in game. This is generally based off the "high magic" campaign. Level Starting Gold Starting Equipment / Magic Items 1 - 160gp  OR Standard starting equipment 2 210gp Standard starting equipment 3 285gp Standard starting equipment 4 365gp Standard sta

An Analysis of Tasha's Caldron of Everything: Spells

 I am going to be evaluating "Tasha's Cauldron of Everything" for incorporation into my own games. I figured I would go ahead and record this analysis on my blog here so other folks can follow along and glean some useful information from the time I spent. I tried to find an in-depth analysis elsewhere, but at this time none so detailed as this seems to be available. You will not find any of the text in its entirety in this blog. I will be referencing the first printing of the book, so please refer to that as you read along. There are no released errata for the book at the time of writing, although there are errata from other books that affect some of this content. There are 21 spells in Tasha's Cauldron of Everything. This includes Booming Blade, Green-Flame Blade, Lightning Lure, and Sword Burst cantrips that were originally published in Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide. There are 9 spells that allow you to summon creatures of various types. Three spells are notabl

GM Tip: Changing the Effective Font Size in Roll20

I've seen this complaint a few times in roll 20:  can't adjust the font in the chat window.  Unfortunately, they haven't added controls for this yet, at least not at the level of account I have.  For me the font is just too big, but I know for a lot of people it is too small. I am using chrome to do this, but I am sure it will work in other browsers. The method basically allows to increase/decrease the size of the font/controls by about a factor of 2 easily. To increase the effective font size, zoom in with the browser (ctrl-plus), and reduce the zoom on the map, until it is back to the size you want. To decrease the effective font size, zoom out with the browser (ctrl-minus), and increase the zoom on the map until its back to the size you want. The main limit of this is the limited range of the map zoom, which really limited me to fonts doubling to halving in size. Default size with chat font Decrease browser zoom and increase map zoom to reduce font e