Skip to main content

Some Thoughts on New Mechanics

I like to experiment more than any other GM I have known.  I guess there is a simulationist game designer always in my head just ready to get out.  I thought I would throw these few ideas out, in case anyone has interest.

Pass Around Curse

The idea with this mechanic is to pass around a boon or curse within the gaming group.  If a players rolls a natural 20/ natural 1 / whatever makes sense for your system, and they have the boon/curse, they get to choose to pass it to another player.

I like this mechanic because one person's luck becomes another person's luck.  Whether that luck is good or bad depends on how you use it.

The Confusion Maze

In my online game, I have been struggling with a way to generate the realistic confusion that a party would experience in a labyrinth or maze.  The idea is to keep generating random shifts of the map while only allowing the party to see a small nearby area.

In my online game on roll20 this means making 4 copies of the maze, each rotated 90 degrees from the previous.  As the players move through the maze, using dynamic lighting with their torches (limited to 15 or 20 feet by magic darkness), they occasionally hit a point and then the whole party gets moved to the same location on the next map.

In a live game, the party is at the center of a large piece of poster board with a hole in it approximately 6 to 10 inches across.  This hole lets the map below show through.  The miniatures sit on this map.  As the characters move, the GM rotates and shifts the map below so the players only see the small section showing through the hole.

In both cases, the rotation is really what is going to mess with the players.  Thank goodness rotations are hard for most people to handle in complex mazes.

Sanity


I don't like most sanity rules I have read, which reflect the Lovecraftian insanity of a mind being torn apart by the unnatural.  The DMG sanity rules for 5E are uninspired and don't give many details.  My version starts every character off with so many sanity points.  When the character can rest without worry, they regain some points. For 5E, I use the Wisdom mod as the recharge.

Now when something affects the character's sanity, they get a normal save.  Maybe it is a DEX save to look away or a CON save to avoid become physically ill.  Certainly, others can apply based on the scenario.  If they fail, the GM rolls sanity damage.

For 5E, this 1d6 to 3d6 sanity damage comes off an original 50 sanity points.  What the character hits 40, 30, 20, and 10, insanity increasingly starts to kick in, first with minor quirks to roleplay, and eventually causing the character to become distracted and end up with disadvantage on skills, unreliable results, and eventually disadvantage all rolls.  Finally, if the character hits zero, the character is insane and now controlled by the GM.  Players rolls a new character.

I really like this because it makes the character more interesting to play as things go through the first two levels.  Quirks add to the roleplaying of a tense atmosphere.  Hallucinations and delusions start to break apart the party and illustrate the cracks in the character.  Eventually the character falls apart with insanity and becomes ineffective and eventually insane.  This alternative to 0 HP is far more interesting.  That is what I want... mechanics that make roleplaying better.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5E Starting Gold and Equipment for Higher Levels

The DMG has a rough recommendation for starting gold and equipment for higher levels, but with my groups running one-shots, we wanted to nail it down to level by level. Here's my DMG-inspired table. Generally I allow equipment to be traded in during character creation for half book value, where applicable. I also, as a GM, offer to make custom magic items for players who can't choose. A list of magical items by rarity can be found here  with stats available in the DMG. I also generally allow players to buy healing potions (2d4+2) for 50gp and greater healing potions for 250gp (4d4+4). PHB items are available at book cost at creation. I do not allow other equipment to be purchased except in game. This is generally based off the "high magic" campaign. Level Starting Gold Starting Equipment / Magic Items 1 - 160gp  OR Standard starting equipment 2 210gp Standard starting equipment 3 285gp Standard starting equipment 4 365gp Standard sta

An Analysis of Tasha's Caldron of Everything: Spells

 I am going to be evaluating "Tasha's Cauldron of Everything" for incorporation into my own games. I figured I would go ahead and record this analysis on my blog here so other folks can follow along and glean some useful information from the time I spent. I tried to find an in-depth analysis elsewhere, but at this time none so detailed as this seems to be available. You will not find any of the text in its entirety in this blog. I will be referencing the first printing of the book, so please refer to that as you read along. There are no released errata for the book at the time of writing, although there are errata from other books that affect some of this content. There are 21 spells in Tasha's Cauldron of Everything. This includes Booming Blade, Green-Flame Blade, Lightning Lure, and Sword Burst cantrips that were originally published in Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide. There are 9 spells that allow you to summon creatures of various types. Three spells are notabl

GM Tip: Changing the Effective Font Size in Roll20

I've seen this complaint a few times in roll 20:  can't adjust the font in the chat window.  Unfortunately, they haven't added controls for this yet, at least not at the level of account I have.  For me the font is just too big, but I know for a lot of people it is too small. I am using chrome to do this, but I am sure it will work in other browsers. The method basically allows to increase/decrease the size of the font/controls by about a factor of 2 easily. To increase the effective font size, zoom in with the browser (ctrl-plus), and reduce the zoom on the map, until it is back to the size you want. To decrease the effective font size, zoom out with the browser (ctrl-minus), and increase the zoom on the map until its back to the size you want. The main limit of this is the limited range of the map zoom, which really limited me to fonts doubling to halving in size. Default size with chat font Decrease browser zoom and increase map zoom to reduce font e