Skip to main content

Friday Shadowrun: Introducing Vlad

So I started my Friday Shadowrun game this week as a player.  Unfortunately I am still tuning my headset, and I had an echo that made it hard for me to talk normally.  Hopefully it is fixed now so there will be no problems in the future.

So Vlad is an elf in 2064.  He's a smooth operator with a flair for outrageous suits and ties.  It suits him.  In one of his earlier undertakings he got caught in an industrial accident that turned him mostly blue from head to toe.  Unfortunately, the same accident got him in bad with Ares and he has to switch to supporting runners instead of his old more legal means of making money.

Vlad drives a simple 4 door Ford sedan.  It is hard to notice the extras he's put on it.  He carries a pistol or two when the job calls for it, and always has a knife on him in case things go south.  Most deadly for Vlad is his mouth.  He can talk his way in or out of just about anything.
---
Report from Vlad:

So I get a call while driving through the ground floor.  I don't recognize the number, but answer it anyway.  Its a strange voice but the man says his name is Mr. Fixit, and I know this guyss rep.  He's a player though his newsworthy plans tend to involve some chaos.

Mr. Fixit has a job.  What's the pay?  Any augmentation.  He gives a list of numbers and says he'll be in touch.  This is cool -- either way, pay or not, I can get money out of info on whatever is going on.  And if it is the real Mr. Fixit, the money for the info is better.

I call the number and get a deep gravelly voice on the other end.  I tell them who it is, who sent me, and ask for a location.  It is twenty minutes away; I get there in ten.

The location is outside a big orc concert in some semblance of what once was a doubledecker bus.  Inside there are a couple of guys and a snake.  Tyres.  Zero. Naga priest.  Later there is an AI playing with the computers -- Xxyyzzyy.  I'll get to know the family later -- time to get to work

So what's the job?  We have to get a tape inside the Outreach Center for the Universal Brotherhood.  Nobody has cased the joint.  Nobody knows what is on the tape.  They think it is in the head priest's office.

I walk out.  Little did I know the infiltrator, Zero, is following me.  I drop a Nuyen in the tank for the suggested donation for the conert and walk straight to the security line behind the stage.  Look like you are supposed to be there and the power follows you.  The security is Centurion and guys in matching suits -- something local maybe.  I tell him I am with Horizon Music and I am looking to get in the back and talk to whoever is in charge about signing the band.  It is a good thing the band really is good.

They lead me back through security cameras into the building to an auditorium.  It doesn't look like its bad to get in.  The guy following me branches around to check out the back loading dock, taking pictures.  Meanwhile I'm inside talking to this big guy in dreadlocks who is in charge.  I tell him the music executive story again and schedule a meeting.  This guy is the father... I'm supposed to be meeting the grandfather?  Whatever.  I ask for a map to the meeting place, and he gives me one against his better judgement.  Go team.

On the way out, I get lost and head for the area where I think the grandfather's office is.  Great... some lady security and now there are keycards.  I tell her I am parked in the other direction, and she leads me right down the hall past the office.  More cameras.  And two ancient gunnery turrents, but they are still lethal.

I get out the back and walk around to the bus and car again.  Yeah, we've got security cameras and keycards, security all over, and automated turrents.  This could be a challenge.

Suddenly though, Ares makes an appearance, and they are shutting down the concert.  This is damned peculiar.  Ares is not supposed to be on the ground floor, and they sure as hell shouldn't be shutting down a concert.  The AI hacks the speakers, sending sparks and some semblance of music over the tense crowd and tense Ares guys.  I see the window.

Lets move.  We head around back.  The guys flip up armor on the bus.  I'm happy in my car.

A few shots take out the cameras, and start a massacre as Ares hears the gunfire and starts shooting.  Chaos is everywhere.  The folks loading canisters and stuff on the loading docks run for the Outreach building, leaving the doors wide open.  The guys head inside while I keep watch and keep talking to them.  I'm the eyes and ears outside , so to speak.

The AI continues to mess with the Ares guys who are headed for the building.

Once inside the crew finds some miscellaneous stuff.  They realize the way in is to blow a hole in the wall into the office to bypass the turrent.  Boom and they are in.  Complication... grandfather is there, so they taser him.  He's a bug, and there are bug spirits all over.  It's a hive.  Guess we're blowing the joint.  They grab the tape and set a remote explosion to take out the building.

We take off.  I use the ramming plate on my car to move blocking traffic.  I toss my tie out the window as they set off the explosion.  This job is over for today.  We got the tape and we got rid of a big bug problem.  It could have been a lot worse.  Oh, and the AI nailed Ares for the massacre by sending tape to the news.  Smear campaign.  Nice.

Hopefully this ends quick and we can get paid soon... I am eyeing a pheremone upgrade to make my social skills a bit more effective.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5E Starting Gold and Equipment for Higher Levels

The DMG has a rough recommendation for starting gold and equipment for higher levels, but with my groups running one-shots, we wanted to nail it down to level by level. Here's my DMG-inspired table. Generally I allow equipment to be traded in during character creation for half book value, where applicable. I also, as a GM, offer to make custom magic items for players who can't choose. A list of magical items by rarity can be found here  with stats available in the DMG. I also generally allow players to buy healing potions (2d4+2) for 50gp and greater healing potions for 250gp (4d4+4). PHB items are available at book cost at creation. I do not allow other equipment to be purchased except in game. This is generally based off the "high magic" campaign. Level Starting Gold Starting Equipment / Magic Items 1 - 160gp  OR Standard starting equipment 2 210gp Standard starting equipment 3 285gp Standard starting equipment 4 365gp Standard sta

An Analysis of Tasha's Caldron of Everything: Spells

 I am going to be evaluating "Tasha's Cauldron of Everything" for incorporation into my own games. I figured I would go ahead and record this analysis on my blog here so other folks can follow along and glean some useful information from the time I spent. I tried to find an in-depth analysis elsewhere, but at this time none so detailed as this seems to be available. You will not find any of the text in its entirety in this blog. I will be referencing the first printing of the book, so please refer to that as you read along. There are no released errata for the book at the time of writing, although there are errata from other books that affect some of this content. There are 21 spells in Tasha's Cauldron of Everything. This includes Booming Blade, Green-Flame Blade, Lightning Lure, and Sword Burst cantrips that were originally published in Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide. There are 9 spells that allow you to summon creatures of various types. Three spells are notabl

GM Tip: Changing the Effective Font Size in Roll20

I've seen this complaint a few times in roll 20:  can't adjust the font in the chat window.  Unfortunately, they haven't added controls for this yet, at least not at the level of account I have.  For me the font is just too big, but I know for a lot of people it is too small. I am using chrome to do this, but I am sure it will work in other browsers. The method basically allows to increase/decrease the size of the font/controls by about a factor of 2 easily. To increase the effective font size, zoom in with the browser (ctrl-plus), and reduce the zoom on the map, until it is back to the size you want. To decrease the effective font size, zoom out with the browser (ctrl-minus), and increase the zoom on the map until its back to the size you want. The main limit of this is the limited range of the map zoom, which really limited me to fonts doubling to halving in size. Default size with chat font Decrease browser zoom and increase map zoom to reduce font e