Skip to main content

Easy Surveys for the GM

Good GMs care about making the gaming experience better for their players.  However, soliciting candid feedback at the gaming table is colored by the interaction of personalities.  To get real feedback from the group, you need it to be on their own, and often, you need it to be anonymous.  Enter the survey.

Surveys are sets of questions you can pose to your players to get very specific feedback.  Luckily, doing surveys has gotten a whole lots easier with the availability of Google Forms.

Google Forms (lots of how-to information found here) are easy to use, free, and automatically take care of pulling the data together into an easy-to-digest form.  I recently used one of these to do a survey to determine how the players liked the previous campaign and to get ideas for the next campaign.

From this experience and based on previous experience with surveys, here are some quick pointers:


  • Keep it short.  Nobody wants to spend a lot of time answering questions.
  • Make sure you give all the possible answers.  Avoid write-in answers, because these just get left blank.
  • Give incentive for doing the survey.  In my case, I gave everyone an extra karma point for getting it done (I use karma points as a hero point-like construct.)
  • Focus on the aspect of the game you want to get at, not on everything.
  • Make it fun.  Boring questions and boring answers suck.  Make some of the options strangely descriptive.

Here's an example question and answers to give you an idea (Yes they are meant to be slightly crazy -- that keeps it interesting.):

What is your favorite playstyle?
A)  Hack 'n' slash -- I like my foes small and in greater numbers.  Bring on the bald goblin hoards!
B)  Puzzling and thinking -- I like to watch the veins in the the other player's heads grow and throb while I ponder the goblin that only tells the truth and the goblin that only lies who hold the keys to two doors, each having four colors painted on them.
C)  Role-playing -- I think costumes should be mandatory, especially for Player X, the big burly man who plays a fairy in a pink tutu with a sparkly wand.  I want to be able to grow my character into something almost real enough for his own TV series.  We need more props.  I am almost done building my character's purple skull ring with green emerald eyes.  Is it ok if my background is more that 10 pages?
D)  Roll-playing -- I need more rules.  I want to be able to bring my own lawyer to the game, so he can help me rules lawyer the right way.  I want to use the rules to argue that my animal companion gets his own mount.  I also have a configuration of rules that allow me to argue that I can open a black hole using a bag of holding, an everburning torch, and a ray of enfeeblement spell.
E)  Meh -- I don't care.  I like hanging out and I don't play MTG. Can we order pizza next game? 
F)  Masochistic -- You know what we really need -- more character deaths!  We haven't even had a TPK yet!  What happened to that plot line where Cthulu returns riding a Tarrasque?  Oh, and I want another chance at Tomb of Horrors!
G)  Godlike -- I want to be able to min-max my character so I can ride a Tarrasque and take over the entire planet!  And that is just on Tuesday!
H)  GM -- I want to GM.  Payback is fun O Mighty GM!  

Of course, this is just an example.  You would need to ask the questions you are interest in and customize the options for the players at your table.  If you can make the questions and answers fun enough that they laugh out loud, you are probably on the right track.

Once you have built your survey, Google Forms gives you a URL to send it out to your party.  Be patient -- getting even a small party to fill out a survey takes time.  Make sure you tie it to a reward so they can have a reason to do it.  Offer to bring a special snack if everyone completes it, or offer an in-game incentive.

Most importantly, take the results from the survey as an important directive from your players.  If you think your players are comfortable with discussing the results, do that, but keep in mind that at the table, stronger personalities will dominate, while the survey truly gives everyone an equal voice.  Take the conclusions of your survey and do something concrete with them -- like improve your game for your players.  In the end, it makes everyone happier.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5E Starting Gold and Equipment for Higher Levels

The DMG has a rough recommendation for starting gold and equipment for higher levels, but with my groups running one-shots, we wanted to nail it down to level by level. Here's my DMG-inspired table. Generally I allow equipment to be traded in during character creation for half book value, where applicable. I also, as a GM, offer to make custom magic items for players who can't choose. A list of magical items by rarity can be found here  with stats available in the DMG. I also generally allow players to buy healing potions (2d4+2) for 50gp and greater healing potions for 250gp (4d4+4). PHB items are available at book cost at creation. I do not allow other equipment to be purchased except in game. This is generally based off the "high magic" campaign. Level Starting Gold Starting Equipment / Magic Items 1 - 160gp  OR Standard starting equipment 2 210gp Standard starting equipment 3 285gp Standard starting equipment 4 365gp Standard sta

An Analysis of Tasha's Caldron of Everything: Spells

 I am going to be evaluating "Tasha's Cauldron of Everything" for incorporation into my own games. I figured I would go ahead and record this analysis on my blog here so other folks can follow along and glean some useful information from the time I spent. I tried to find an in-depth analysis elsewhere, but at this time none so detailed as this seems to be available. You will not find any of the text in its entirety in this blog. I will be referencing the first printing of the book, so please refer to that as you read along. There are no released errata for the book at the time of writing, although there are errata from other books that affect some of this content. There are 21 spells in Tasha's Cauldron of Everything. This includes Booming Blade, Green-Flame Blade, Lightning Lure, and Sword Burst cantrips that were originally published in Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide. There are 9 spells that allow you to summon creatures of various types. Three spells are notabl

GM Tip: Changing the Effective Font Size in Roll20

I've seen this complaint a few times in roll 20:  can't adjust the font in the chat window.  Unfortunately, they haven't added controls for this yet, at least not at the level of account I have.  For me the font is just too big, but I know for a lot of people it is too small. I am using chrome to do this, but I am sure it will work in other browsers. The method basically allows to increase/decrease the size of the font/controls by about a factor of 2 easily. To increase the effective font size, zoom in with the browser (ctrl-plus), and reduce the zoom on the map, until it is back to the size you want. To decrease the effective font size, zoom out with the browser (ctrl-minus), and increase the zoom on the map until its back to the size you want. The main limit of this is the limited range of the map zoom, which really limited me to fonts doubling to halving in size. Default size with chat font Decrease browser zoom and increase map zoom to reduce font e