Skip to main content

Ships and Caravans

Between Friday Night Pathfinder introducing a caravan and the soon-to-be-starting Monday night Pathfinder Pirates on a ship, it looks like I am going to be dealing with vehicle rules a lot.  I am currently working through the rules to get the two systems down.  For caravans, I'm using this ruleset.  For pirates, I'm using the Pathfinder Skull and Shackles player's guide rules.  Both are based on the Pathfinder Core Rulebook.

I find the caravan rules a bit confusing so far, since the rules seem to mix things up quite a bit between base attributes and derived attributes of the caravan.  For example, guards supposedly add +1 to offense, but offense is a base attribute upon which feats are based for prerequisites.  It seems like the base attribute should only be modified through feats and jobs should only modify the derived attributes.

The nice thing about the caravan rules is that they are very reasonable.  I created the caravan for my current campaign basically on the fly and chose reasonably realistic properties, like traveling 40 miles per day.  The rules easily allowed me to flesh out my vision, and the result closely reflects all the things I told the players previously.

The ship rules call for 1 to 4 inch ships on a 1 inch = 30 feet square.  To represent these ships, I am building a small collection of Pirates of the Spanish Main ships (and all the expansion packs).  My next step is to start building ship sheets for each of the miniatures.  We'll see how that goes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5E Starting Gold and Equipment for Higher Levels

The DMG has a rough recommendation for starting gold and equipment for higher levels, but with my groups running one-shots, we wanted to nail it down to level by level. Here's my DMG-inspired table. Generally I allow equipment to be traded in during character creation for half book value, where applicable. I also, as a GM, offer to make custom magic items for players who can't choose. A list of magical items by rarity can be found here  with stats available in the DMG. I also generally allow players to buy healing potions (2d4+2) for 50gp and greater healing potions for 250gp (4d4+4). PHB items are available at book cost at creation. I do not allow other equipment to be purchased except in game. This is generally based off the "high magic" campaign. Level Starting Gold Starting Equipment / Magic Items 1 - 160gp  OR Standard starting equipment 2 210gp Standard starting equipment 3 285gp Standard starting equipment 4 365gp Standard sta

An Analysis of Tasha's Caldron of Everything: Spells

 I am going to be evaluating "Tasha's Cauldron of Everything" for incorporation into my own games. I figured I would go ahead and record this analysis on my blog here so other folks can follow along and glean some useful information from the time I spent. I tried to find an in-depth analysis elsewhere, but at this time none so detailed as this seems to be available. You will not find any of the text in its entirety in this blog. I will be referencing the first printing of the book, so please refer to that as you read along. There are no released errata for the book at the time of writing, although there are errata from other books that affect some of this content. There are 21 spells in Tasha's Cauldron of Everything. This includes Booming Blade, Green-Flame Blade, Lightning Lure, and Sword Burst cantrips that were originally published in Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide. There are 9 spells that allow you to summon creatures of various types. Three spells are notabl

GM Tip: Changing the Effective Font Size in Roll20

I've seen this complaint a few times in roll 20:  can't adjust the font in the chat window.  Unfortunately, they haven't added controls for this yet, at least not at the level of account I have.  For me the font is just too big, but I know for a lot of people it is too small. I am using chrome to do this, but I am sure it will work in other browsers. The method basically allows to increase/decrease the size of the font/controls by about a factor of 2 easily. To increase the effective font size, zoom in with the browser (ctrl-plus), and reduce the zoom on the map, until it is back to the size you want. To decrease the effective font size, zoom out with the browser (ctrl-minus), and increase the zoom on the map until its back to the size you want. The main limit of this is the limited range of the map zoom, which really limited me to fonts doubling to halving in size. Default size with chat font Decrease browser zoom and increase map zoom to reduce font e